I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, November 13, 2017

Not So Common

From the Jolanda Tarot, the Eight of Swords; from the Bird Signs deck, 'Dove:'
          Forget the Angry Birds, these folks have incoming angry bees. But why are they standing outside instead of running indoors? When life feels overwhelming with no apparent solutions, the first thing to disappear is often our common sense. It helps when I can remember the basics when I'm in this place: Have I gotten some rest, eaten a healthy meal and exercised my body lately? Have I talked to someone (other than the squirrel that runs circles in my mind)? A second opinion means one that doesn't originate from me. The Rock Dove (aka rock pigeon) may appear drab and useless, but it was the bird that carried messages for the U.S. Army Signal Corps during World War I and II. No matter where it is released, it will find its way home. It reminds me that I need to have a guidance system too - a philosophy or spirituality that can provide direction when I feel lost. It doesn't have to be a specific one, just one that works for me. These birds reuse the same nest over and over without cleaning them out; their nest often contains unhatched eggs and mummies of dead nestlings. When I feel out of options, one of the best things I can do is start fresh by getting rid of all my assumptions and ideas that things must be a certain way. It turns out that Voltaire knew what he was talking about when he wrote, "Common sense is not so common."


6 comments:

  1. Little by little M and I a literally cleaning out our nest. But gradually it also makes room in our head.. It's about time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm that way too; external clutter tends to reflect my internal clutter. 😊

      Delete
  2. We allowed a pair of pigeons to nest on our balcony in the old flat. I went past today and the current tenants have built fortifications and erected a scarecrow. I guess the birds kept coming back...I feel a bit guilty for both parties... 🐦

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a business here that put speakers on their roof to send out an intermittent red-tail hawk cry. I think customers had complained about being pooped on coming in and out of the store. I don't hear it anymore, so the birds must have gotten wise to it. 😁

      Delete