I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Giant Swords, Angry Geese

From the Jolanda Tarot, the Seven of Swords; from the Bird Signs deck, 'Goose:'
          Nope, there's not an elephant in the room, but a giant sword separating this couple. In my imagination, they got a tax refund; she had plans for a vegetable garden, but he spent the money on a widescreen TV. The Seven of Swords is often described as 'lone wolf' behavior, a sure way to wreck any relationship. The sword represents truth but also communication. Judging by all the snakes at their feet, they need to stop pouting and start talking. At any rate, that cat doesn't look like he's willing to put up with much more of their childish behavior. The Goose represents protection (as anyone who's ever been chased by one of these hissing, wing-flapping birds can attest). Looking at that couple I want to ask each of them, "Whose interests are you trying to protect, your own or those of both of you?" The first is simply self-absorption, and the second is true partnership.
Love and concern for all are not things some of us are born with and others are not. Rather, they are results of what we do with our minds: We can choose to transform our minds so that they embody love, or we can allow them to develop habits and false concepts of separation. ~ Sharon Salzberg

7 comments:

  1. Yikes those snakes! Yes talking and actually listening is crucial to partnership. K and I would be much further on with our shared interests if we'd done the latter in our early years together. Good that we'e doing it now though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched my mom put up with abuse for so many years in her marriage, that I adopted a "my way or the highway" mentality in an attempt to protect myself. It took a while before I realized that this extreme wasn't any healthier than the other!

      Delete
    2. That must have been so hard to watch. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. well spoken as always. But that is one weird card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of the Jolanda cards are 'normal.' :D Probably has a lot to do with the art style of Hans Arnold.

      Delete
  3. That is a very thoughtful take on the Seven of Swords. Lone wolf indeed. I shall remember and look at it that way next time I draw it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard the 'lone wolf' idea when I first started studying tarot. I could really see it in this artwork; those two look like they're on opposite pages.

      Delete